Workshop on Multimedia Discovery and Mining
September 22, 2003
The 14th European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML) and the 7th European
Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (PKDD),
- Alexander Hauptmann: "Multimedia Mining and the Informedia Project",
Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.
Call for papers (expired)
on the following topics was
open till June 13, 2003.
with the list of accepted papers as well as the
are available on the Web.
Topics of interest
Particular topics of interest for the workshop include
but are not limited to:
- Theoretical framework for multimedia data mining;
- Complexity, and scalability of multimedia mining algorithms;
- Classification of multimedia documents;
- Clustering and proximity of multimedia documents;
- Detection of novel or interesting documents;
- Multimedia data mining methods and algorithms;
- Preprocessing and representation of multimedia data;
- Multimedia data representation and formats;
- Event or topic detection in multimedia data;
- Selection of novel or interesting documents;
- Learning using different data sources and modalities;
- Extraction and representation of semantic relations for multimedia;
- Working multimedia mining systems.
The workshop consists of invited talks,
presentation of refereed papers,
We hope that the program will stimulate future
collaboration among researchers on text mining problems.
- 9:00am - 9:30am Opening and Introduction
- 9:30am - 10:30am Invited talk:
Multimedia Mining and the Informedia Project,
Alexander Hauptmann, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.
- 10:30am - 11:00am Coffee break
- 11:00am - 11:40am
Mining association rules in document images,
Michelangelo Ceci, Margherita Berardi, Donato Malerba
- 11:40am - 12:10pm
A Logical Framework for Analyzing Properties of Multimedia Web Documents,
- 12:10pm - 12:30pm
A Constraint satisfaction framework for Documents Recognition,
- 12:30pm - 2:00pm Lunch break
- 2:00pm - 2:40pm
An Evaluation of Alternative Feature Selection Strategies and Ensemble Techniques for Classifying Music,
Marco Grimaldi, Pádraig Cunningham, Anil Kokaram
- 2:40pm - 3:20pm
Integrated Classification of Audio, Video and Speech using Partitions of Low-Level Features,
E. Leopold, J. Kindermann, G. Paaß, S. Vollmer, R. Cavet, M. Larson, S. Eickeler, T. Kastner
- 3:30pm - 4:00pm Coffee break
- 4:00pm - 4:40pm
Knowledge Representation of Low Level Features for Semantic Video Analysis,
Andres Dorado, Ebroul Izquierdo
- 4:40pm - 5:20pm
A Novel Method to Describe Multimedia Documents,
Yan Jianfeng, Zhang Yang, Li Zhanhuai
- 5:20pm - 5:45pm Discussion and Closing
Attendance is not limited to the paper authors.
We strongly encourage interested researchers from related
areas to attend the workshop.
The intended audience for the workshop involves researchers
and practitioners interested in mining different type of multimedia data.
Firstly, we would like to attract potential users working in the media industry
(e.g. broadcasters), which can clarify user demands on multimedia mining.
Then we aim for experts on the technical background and standards (e.g. MPEG7)
Finally data mining and machine learning researchers interested in audio, image, text
and multimedia mining are expected to contribute to the workshop.
J.Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Fraunhofer Institute Autonomous Intelligent Systems, Schloss Birlinghoven
53754 St. Augustin, Germany,
Marie-Aude Aufaure, INRIA, Domaine de Voluceau, France
Alberto Del Bimbo, Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy
Joachim Diederich, The University of Queensland, Australia
Chabane Djeraba, University of Nantes, France,
Stefan Eickeler, Fraunhofer Institute of Media Communication, Germany
Gareth Jones, University of Exeter, UK
Thorsten Joachims, Cornell University, USA
Odej Kao, University of Paderborn, Germany
Gholamreza Nakhaeizadeh , Daimler-Benz AG, Germany
Simeon Simoff, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
This Workshop is partially supported by the
European FP5 FET project
"European Knowledge Discovery Netwrok of Excellence"